David Luiz Offered Chelsea Exit in January After Clashing With Antonio Conte

David Luiz could be on his way out of Stamford Bridge and heading to Real Madrid after the European champion was alerted to his fall-out with Chelsea manager Antonio Conte, according to reports.

Conte's relationship with Luiz broke down during the club's trip to Rome in the Champions League last month, when the pair were reportedly involved in a heated exchange after being beaten 3-0 by Roma.

Luiz trained alone and was dropped by Conte for the 1-0 victory over Manchester United the following weekend, with his only return to the team coming against Qarabag on November 22.

Zinedine Zidane, the Real Madrid manager, has suggested the club may look to complete some business in the January transfer window, with Luiz among the targets being considered, according to The Daily Telegraph.

Luiz will not be available for the visit of Swansea City to Stamford Bridge in the league on Wednesday as Conte says the 30-year-old is suffering from a knee injury.

"I can tell you who are the players not available for the Swansea game—it's David Luiz, for a knee problem, and Charly Musonda," said Conte.

"I must be honest, in this moment it's very difficult for me to answer how long David Luiz will be out. It will be up to the doctor to assess the situation very well and then to take the best decision for the player."

Chelsea Defender David Luiz
Chelsea defender David Luiz at Stamford Bridge, London, October 18. Luiz has reportedly fallen out with manager Antonio Conte and may be heading for the exit in January. Richard Heathcote/Getty

Luiz, believed to be one of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's favorite players, has had two stints at Stamford Bridge. He returned to west London last summer for £34 million having been sold to Paris Saint-Germain in 2014 for £50 million.

The Brazilian defender was part of the Chelsea team that won the Champions League under Roberto Di Matteo in 2012, but was considered too unreliable by Jose Mourinho and sold two years later.

Conte was credited with adding a maturity to Luiz's game after his return, as he played a crucial role at the heart of Chelsea's back three on the way to the Premier League title last season. But that relationship appears to have broken down now.

According to the Daily Mail, Barcelona and AC Milan have also considered making a move for Luiz but Real Madrid is expected to be a more desirable destination given its success in Europe over the past two seasons.

Selling Luiz may be a risk for Chelsea, however, as Conte has suggested the club is yet to discuss any potential new signings for the new year. The former Juventus coach said he is waiting on Abramovich to ask him what he requires in order to gain ground on league leader Manchester City.

"If one day the club try to ask me something about this topic I can give my opinion but at the same time I am very happy to work for this club with these players," Conte said.

Antonio Conte and David Luiz
Antonio Conte, left, and David Luiz at Stamford Bridge, London, March 13. Luiz was a key part of Conte's title-winning Chelsea team last season. GLYN KIRK/AFP/Getty